Every year on the third Saturday of October we celebrate Sweetest Day, reminding us that kindness is more important than wisdom. Today, Sweetest Day is associated with kind, but also romantic, gestures–typically involving giving sweets to your partner and/or friend(s). Most importantly, you are supposed to be nice to others on this day.
Despite having been around since 1921 (officially since 1922), Sweetest Day is still a regional holiday celebrated mostly in the Great Lake region (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin), but also Florida. Invented by confectioners in Cleveland, it has always been naturally associated with sweets. It was actually first called “Candy Day” and is always celebrated on a Saturday for this exact reason.
For many people, Sweetest Day is similar to Valentine’s Day, but there are some differences. For instance, Sweetest Day has become a day when typically women give their boyfriends or husbands gifts, rather than the other way around. At the same time, there is no right or wrong way of celebrating Sweetest Day so it’s best to just follow your own intuition and do what feels right. What makes Sweetest Day slightly different from Valentine’s Day is that when it comes to gifts it isn’t focused on chocolates, but sweets in general.
When is Sweetest Day celebrated?
Sweetest Day is celebrated on the third Saturday in October. In 2021, the third Saturday in October lands on October 16.
Year Date Sweetest Day 2021 Saturday, October 16 Sweetest Day 2022 Saturday, October 15 Sweetest Day 2023 Saturday, October 21 Sweetest Day 2024 Saturday, October 19 Sweetest Day 2025 Saturday, October 18 Sweetest Day 2026 Saturday, October 17
When did Sweetest Day start?
Unlike many other holidays, we do know when Sweetest Day was first celebrated: in 1921 on October 10. Invented by twelve prominent confectioners in Cleveland, it has always been a commercial holiday.
Sweetest Day Social Media Post Ideas
Sweetest Day is a major social media holiday, meaning that lots of people, brands and businesses will create posts to celebrate. To help you get inspired, here are a few ideas for you to consider when planning your Sweetest Day social media strategy.
Post idea 1: Wish your followers a happy Sweetest Day and offer them a special discount for a Sweetest Day-themed product or service. Typically, anything romantic should work. Beauty salons, spas and wellness centers could offer special packages that make for perfect gifts.
Post idea 2: Show how you celebrate Sweetest Day at your workplace. A fun picture of everyone at your workplace is something people always enjoy, especially if you have put some effort into it.
Post idea 3: Personal brands and influencers can use Sweetest Day for sharing a story about their best friend(s) or loved ones.
Sweetest Day Hashtags
On Instagram, Twitter and other social media, hashtags make a real difference. So, to make sure your post reaches your target audience some hashtag research is needed. That’s why we’ve looked up the most popular hashtags to use on Sweetest Day.
The following hashtags are especially popular on Sweetest Day:
- #SweetestDay2021 (just change the year if necessary)
The following hashtags are also popular on Sweetest Day:
You can use up to 30 hashtags in regular Instagram posts and 10 of them in Instagram stories, so you can fit these in any post. In addition to these hashtags, also include other relevant industry hashtags and local hashtags to make sure your post finds its desired audience.
Sweetest Day Quotes
We have compiled the best Sweetest Day quotes–for him, for her and for friends–in the same place. Some of these quotes are fun, some cute and some just…sweet. There is something for everyone here, we promise!
Sweetest Day Quotes For Him
Looking for something suitable to write on your card for your boyfriend or husband? Here are quotes that your significant other will absolutely love!
- “When I listen to my heart, it whispers your name.”
- “Many girls dream about someone as sweet and handsome as you. But I am the luckiest of them all, because my dream comes true every morning, every night, every day.”
- “No matter where we go or what we do, I want to share every single day with you. When I look at you, I look at love.”
- “It’s nice to have someone in your life who can make you smile even when they’re not around.”
- “I love living my life with you. Honey, you make life sweeter and sweeter every day.”
- “I may not be your first love, first kiss, or first date but I just want to be your last everything.”
- “Ever since you came into my life, I have wanted to be with you until the end of time.”
- “I know that dreams come true, because mine did the day I met you.”
Sweetest Day Quotes For Her
Here are some of the sweetest things to tell your girlfriend or wife on Sweetest Day.
- “Every day I am convinced I couldn’t possibly love you more…and every day I’m proven wrong.”
- “Your eyes are the sweetest stars I’ve ever seen”. – Moulin Rouge
- “I don’t want anyone else to have your heart, kiss your lips, or be in your arms because that’s only my place.”
- “I am in love with your smile, your voice, your body, your laugh, your eyes. But most of all, I am in love with you.”
- “I am not a morning person, but if I woke up every morning next to you, I would be. Happy Sweetest Day!”
- “You fill the emptiness in my heart. I’m so thankful to have you in my life. I love you.”
- “My dream girl, I am forever grateful for the joy you have brought into my life. Happy Sweetest Day!”
- In my dictionary, the definition for ‘breathtaking’ is a picture of you.”
- “I love you baby, not only on Sweetest Day, but every day.”
- “Until the end of time, I’ll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you.” – Prince (from “Adore”)
Sweetest Day Quotes For Friends
Sending a Sweetest Day card to a friend? If so, these quotes will be perfect for you.
- “There are friends, there is family, and then there are friends that become family.”
- “A good friend is like a four-leaf clover: hard to find and lucky to have.” – Irish proverb
- “True friends are never apart – maybe in distance, but never in heart.”
- “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate. Happy Sweetest Day!”
- “We will be best friends forever because you already know too much!”
- “Best friends are like fairytales: they’ve been there since once upon a time and will stay until forever after.”
- “Thank you friend for being so sweet!”
- “A sweet friendship refreshes the soul. Happy Sweetest Day!”
- “Everyone knows sugar melts in water, so please don’t walk in the rain because I can’t lose a sweet friend like you!”
- “Friends like you is what makes life sweet.”
Sweetest Day Facts & Trivia
Here are some interesting facts about Sweetest Day–perfect for quizzes and
- Early on, Sweetest Day was often promoted through generous candy donations to local charities.
- In the beginning, Sweetest Day was sometimes called Candy Day.
- People who dislike Sweetest Day sometimes call it, derogatorily, a so-called Hallmark holiday, which it isn’t.
- The first, unofficial, Sweetest Day was celebrated in 1921. This means that Sweetest Day turns 100 years in 2021! Officially, however, the first Sweetest Day was in 1922.
- Despite not being a Hallmark holiday, Hallmark started making Sweetest Day cards in the 1960s.
- People in the Midwest–where Sweetest Day traditions are long and rich–might not even realize that Sweetest Day is mainly celebrated in only 11 states in the USA.
Looking for more fun and interesting holidays in October? Our list of October holidays is probably the most complete list out there! If you are looking holidays in a specific months, go to our social media holiday calendar.