The world’s most American comfort food, mac and cheese, is observed every year on July 14. It’s a day to celebrate the dish that millions of Americans of all ages swear by. Popularized in the 20th century much thanks to the boxed mac and cheese created by Kraft Foods in 1938, macaroni and cheese offers a reasonably protein-rich meal at little cost that tastes delicious.
When is National Mac and Cheese Day?
In 2023, National Mac and Cheese Day is celebrated annually on July 14.
|National Mac and Cheese Day 2023
|Friday, July 14
|National Mac and Cheese Day 2024
|Sunday, July 14
|National Mac and Cheese Day 2025
|Monday, July 14
|National Mac and Cheese Day 2026
|Tuesday, July 14
|National Mac and Cheese Day 2027
|Wednesday, July 14
|National Mac and Cheese Day 2028
|Thusday, July 14
When did National Mac and Cheese Day start?
Based on our independent research, National Mac and Cheese Day has been observed already in the early 2010s and possible even before that. It has, however, only started growing in popularity since the mid-2010s like so many other social media holidays. The person, company or organization behind National Mac and Cheese Day is unknown to our team.
National Mac and Cheese Day Post Ideas
Every year, thousands observe National Mac and Cheese Day on social media. It is a day for either making your own mouthwatering macaroni and cheese or simply going out to a restaurant to enjoy it. If you are company looking for social media post ideas on this day, have a look at our ideas below!
- Post idea 1: Post a picture of your home-baked mac and cheese. Especially if you have your own small food business, this is definitely the way to go! It’s the perfect excuse for showing off your amazing homemade mac and cheese. Add a little backstory about what mac and cheese means to you and—voilà—you have a perfectly relatable post that will make your audience like you even more.
- Post idea 2: Share your own mac and cheese story. This idea is in particular for personal brands and influencers. To many of us, mac and cheese brings many memories to mind, which can be positive or negative. Maybe you can tell about how you lived on mac and cheese alone for a short period (or for 17 years like this guy)?
- Post idea 3: Take a picture of the mac and cheese you are having at a restaurant. This one’s simple: go to a restaurant, order a mac and cheese, and finally, take a picture of it and post it online. Sometimes the easiest solution is the best one!
National Mac and Cheese Day Hashtags
When posting on social media you should always remember to include hashtags so that people looking for the topic can find you.
These are the hashtags used specifically on National Mac and Cheese Day:
- #nationalmacandcheeseday2023 (just change the year when necessary)
Other popular mac and cheese-related hashtags:
Some of the above are specifically to be used when having a mac and cheese pizza, balls or bites, whereas others are more general. If you are a mac and cheese lover, then #macandcheeselover makes quite a lot of sense, doesn’t it?
National Mac and Cheese Day Quotes
There are perhaps surprisingly many good mac and cheese quotes online. Here are a few that we have found:
- “We go together like macaroni and cheese”
- “Me to my mac and cheese: I am so glad I fondu you.”
- “You feta not forget to eat some mac and cheese today — it’s a national holiday, it’s the rule!”
- “I’ll always order macaroni and cheese, but I don’t want it to be fancy.” — Drew Barrymore
- “I love macaroni and cheese. I could eat it every meal of the day. It used to be sushi, but these days I cannot stop eating mac and cheese. — Cobie Smulders
- It’s diamonds in your pockets one week, mac and cheese the next. — Jolene Blalock
National Mac and Cheese Day Facts & Trivia
Looking for mac and cheese facts and trivia? You have come to the right place. These quiz-ready facts will surely entertain you and your friends!
- Kraft sells a million boxes of mac and cheese…a day!
- Each year, macaroni and cheese competitions are arranged all over the USA. There is even an annual Mac and Cheese Festival!
- A shop-bought mac and cheese doesn’t actually contain any real cheese. Instead, a powdered mix of processed cheese is used.
- President Thomas Jefferson is often credited for popularizing macaroni and cheese in the USA, but he obviously didn’t cook it himself. Who did that? His enslaved black chef: James Hemmings.
- Famous mac and cheese fans include actors Drew Barrymore, Cobie Smulders and Melissa Ordway.
- An episode of Friends (Season 6) was named after America’s favorite cheesy macaroni dish: The One With Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E.