Sometimes TikTok, just like any social media, can bring out the worst in people. Name-calling, bodyshaming, belittling, mocking are just some of the many ways people abuse people online. In this article we will show you how to block and report people on TikTok, hoping that this will help you stay safe on TikTok. If you are under 18, please remember to always tell your parents if you encounter any forms of cyberbullying or inappropriate behaviour on TikTok. Bullying is never the fault of the victim and nobody deserves to be bullied.
How to block someone on TikTok
Blocking someone can sometimes be necessary for various reasons, not all of which have to be related to cyberbullying or online abuse. You might simply not like someone’s account or maybe you want to prevent your ex or a “friend” from seeing your videos. In this case blocking them might be necessary.
How do you do it?
To block any account on TikTok follow the steps below.
- First, go to the TikTok account that you want to block. Click on the three dots close to the account’s username. Then choose the option “Block” from the menu that will appear on your screen.
If you prefer to follow a video tutorial, here’s a good one. From this video you will also learn how to find out if someone blocked YOU.
You might be curious to know what exactly happens if you block someone on TikTok.
First of all, you should know that if you block someone, they won’t be notified about your action. So don’t worry about that. However, if the person you blocked is stalking you, they might find out that you have blocked them. How? The thing is that blocked users cannot see your videos and they cannot follow you. If they try to do so they will a message that says “You cannot view this user’s videos due to their privacy settings.”.
How to report someone on TikTok
In order to report an account on TikTok, follow the steps below.
- Go to the TikTok account that you want to report. Click on the three dots close to the account’s username. Next, choose the option “Report” from the menu that will appear on your screen.
- Now, select the reason why you want to complain about the account you selected. Right now you can choose from four options:
– Pretending to be someone;
– Posting inappropriate content;
– Inappropriate profile info;
- Once you chose a reason why you want to report an account, TikTok will ask you some further details. The details vary slightly depending on the reason you chose.
- Once you are ready, click on the “Submit” button.
How to deal with haters on TikTok?
For as long as people have been allowed to comment on social media, online abuse and cyberbullying has been a problem. These are not particularly new phenomena; the term cyberbullying for instance has already in 2004 been defined as the “sending or posting harmful or cruel text or images using the internet or other digital communication devices” (Willard). A survey conducted by Pew Research from 2018 shows that 59% of U.S. teens have encountered some type of abusive online behavior, such as name-calling, spreading false rumors or physical threats.
What’s then the best way to deal with hate on TikTok and on internet in general? The non-profit organization ConnectSafely.org recommends not responding as the best way of dealing with cyberbullies, since bullies often try to provoke a reaction and not giving it to them might just be the best thing you can do. They also recommend saving any evidence of the bullying, which sounds like very smart advice in case legal action is needed or anyone ever asks you for proof.
As we mentioned, there are many ways you can deal with hateful comments but not all ways will work for everyone. Remember that everyone is different and what works for someone else might not work for you.